British 25pdr field gun and quad gun tractor. Lifting the lid on another group build...

 British 25pdr field gun and quad gun tractor. Lifting the lid on another group build...

The Ordnance QF 25-pounder, or more simply or 25-pdr, with a calibre of 3.45 inches (87.6 mm), was one of the most outstanding field artillery pieces used by British and Commonwealth forces in the Second World War. It being durable, easy to operate and versatile. It was the major British field gun and howitzer during the War.

 

I was looking at this in the shop and then the devil on my left shoulder persuaded me to buy it.
Looks like I listened to the little devil.  
 
It was sitting in the stash when the discord group started their alternative history group build.

Tamiya. Matilda MkIII 1/48.

 While I was researching the camouflage for the build, I discovered an image of the 25pdr in Malta.
Well, I had to didn't I?

The picture on the front shows the vehicle in question.

The picture on the side panels shows the underside of the vehicle... er...
Now, that's unusual.

The usual sneak previews on the other side panel.

And the end panel... 8:50 British and 11:50 American. Really can't complain.


Let's peek inside.


A goodly amount of plastic.


The usual Tamiya decals. I rarely have any problems with them. Even without the solutions...


Two sets of instructions.  One I can read, one is in Japanese.

These are the ones I can read.




\







Cab and driver, front and back...



Sub-frame, front and back...



Limber carrier, front and back.



25pdr gun, front and back...
It was introduced into service just before the War started and combined both high-angle and direct-fire abilities. It had a relatively high rate of fire, and a reasonably lethal shell.
Initial production was slow but, by 1945, over 12,000 had been manufactured. It remained the British Army's primary artillery field piece well into the 1960s, with smaller numbers used in training units until the 1980s. Many Commonwealth countries used theirs in active or reserve service until about the 1970s, and ammunition for the weapon is currently being produced by Pakistan Ordnance Factories.



Superstructure and accessories.



Shall I put it together? Of course. Coming soon.

Comments