Building a beast. Aoshima 1/700 Bismarck.

Bismarck. Building a beast.

My, she's a big one... More exactly, he's a big one as the Germans refer to their ships as masculine...
Oh those Germans...



As usual we begin with the weight and the main hull. I still like the weight.




That's the hull completed...

I brush paint so I will have to paint as I go.


It's a reasonable fit. I have not had to get the filler out for this one.


I picked out the  details on the deck in the grey.
I'm building the upper super structure now. Painting and weathering as I go...




Funnel too...

All ready to go.

Lots of shooty  things...

Building the superstructure.

So far, so good.


Adding the masts.
I respect the great modellers who add all the additional stuff but I want to show the model that you buy in the box. 


Finally we can add the small guns completing the superstructure.

And now we can add the final details. Guns and boats specifically.

That's pretty much it now. Just a few details to finish.




Adding the rigging using stretched sprue.

Adding the naughty cross front and back. It is what it was...


Let's have a look at the final result.

Heading East...

Looking a bit closer at the bow...

Looking down the length of the ship.

Overall, I'm quite happy with this. Built out of the box and on the 'modellers knee', I think I have a reasonable model which gives an idea of the scale of this mighty lump of metal.

Heading East...


Looking a little closer at the stern.

And a final thought for the crew who gave their lives in the ensuing sea battle. The majority perishing with the ship. Only 115 of Bismarck's 2,221-man crew survived. It's a beautiful thing in a way but from a less than beautiful time.




Thank you for dropping in and see you again soon.




Comments